How To Care For Your Copper Jewelry
All copper will eventually tarnish over time and extended wear, but there's a few things you can do to keep it looking shiny and new...
- Don’t expose copper to harsh solvents or chemicals.
- Keep free of lotions, perfumes, and other cosmetics.
- Keep your copper jewelry dry and out of water as much as possible.
- Remove your copper jewelry before showering, bathing, or swimming (chlorine and saltwater can permanently damage copper).
- Store your clean, dry copper jewelry in a resealable plastic bag or jewelry case when not in use.
Whenever your piece needs a quick shine, here are a few simple methods you can use...
- Give your piece a quick rub with the jewelry cloth I provided you with your purchase. Larger jewelry cloths are readily available at most jewelry and retail stores and are very inexpensive.
- Use table salt and vinegar - pour salt and vinegar over your jewelry and gently rub into the jewelry until any grime or tarnishing is removed. Rinse with water and polish with a soft, dry cloth.
- Use salt and lemon - pour salt on half of a lemon and rub over jewelry, or pour salt and squeezed lemon juice onto jewelry and gently rub in. Rinse with water and polish with a soft, dry cloth.
Although a slight green tint may occur where the copper is contacting your skin, this is not an allergic reaction, it is completely normal and can happen with any type of copper jewelry. It may also be an indication that your body is slightly acidic. If this happens, simply wash the affected area with soap and water. To prevent skin discoloration in the future you can use clear nail polish to paint the part of your jewelry that is coming into contact with your skin and reapply as needed.
Note: All my rings are coated with a copper specific hypoallergenic sealant to slow the process of oxidization and protect against skin discoloration. Although this sealant will last quite a while depending on how much you wear your piece, there is no metal sealant on the market that lasts forever. Take care of your jewelry with my recommendations listed above, and your copper will take care of you <3